Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Day 7

Cynthia had indeed joined the Mile High club, somewhere over Nevada. Richie wasted no time initiating her and she didn’t mind one bit. It also helped that it was a nearly empty flight. Even though they didn’t land in Philly and reach their hotel until nearly midnight that didn’t stop Jon from pounding on their door at 8 the next morning.

Richie rolled over when he heard the banging and looked at the clock. “8? I’m gonna kill him, that’s 5 Cali time.”

“Is that banging at the door,” Cynthia asked groggily.

“I think its just Jon,” Richie said getting up as the banging continued. “I’ll be right back after I kill him.”

Richie got out of bed and walked to the front door sleepily and opened it to find Jon dressed in a suit. “What took you so long to open the damn door,” Jon asked looking at Richie dressed in only a pair of shorts.

“I was sleeping, my brain is telling me its 5 in the morning,” Richie said.

“Well you better tell it that it’s a little after 8,” Jon said entering the suite.

“Jon come on it,” Richie said under his breath as Jon stared at him.

“Why aren’t you dressed,” Jon asked.

“I think I already told you I was sleeping,” Richie said.

“We’re leaving in a little less than an hour, don’t you think it’s about time you get dressed,” Jon asked as Cynthia entered from the bed room dressed in a tank top and a pair of shorts.

“Morning,” she said giving Richie a kiss.

“Morning,” Richie said putting his arm around her waist. “Cyn this is Jon, Jon this is Cynthia.”

“Nice to meet you. I’d be a little fresher if I’d gotten more than a couple hours sleep and I wasn’t fighting jet lag,” she said with a sleepy smile.

“You to,” Jon said looking through his blackberry.

“Don’t mind him,” Richie said as there was another knock at the door.

Richie opened the door and found Dorothea standing on the other side. “Hi sweetie,” she said giving him a hug.

“What are you doing here,” Richie asked.

“My husband didn’t tell you,” she asked.

“Afraid not,” Richie said leading her inside.

“I came down since it was only a couple days. My sister offered to take the kids for a couple days, and I thought your friend here may be a little bored while you’re in meetings,” she said smiling.

“You always look out for me Dot,” Richie said smiling.

“You must be Cynthia,” Dot said extending her hand.

“Yeah, but I’m sorry I don’t know who you are,” she said.

“I’m sorry. I’m Dorothea, but everyone calls me Dot. I’m married to that grouch over there,” she said pointing to Jon.

“I can hear you,” Jon said still on his blackberry.

“You can’t think that your pleasant at the moment do you,” she asked him and got no response. “I think you should go change before he drags you out like that,” she said to Richie.

“Right,” Richie said. “Can you keep an eye on her and make sure he doesn’t attack her or anything for breathing.”

“Of course,” Dot said smiling.

“You’re a life saver,” Richie said retreating back to the bedroom for a quick shower.

“You look like Jon woke you up, did you have breakfast yet,” Dot asked Cynthia.

“No, we were out cold until we heard a certain someone pounding on the door,” Cynthia said.

“I’ll order some breakfast for you, I know what’s good here,” Dot offered.

“That would be great thanks,” Cynthia said not quite sure what to expect from Jon or Dot.

The two women sat in a slightly awkward silence as Jon rarely looked up from his blackberry while they waited for Richie to emerge. He came soon enough, about five minutes later, fresh from a shower and in a rarely used suit. Black dress pants, a bright blue shirt that was unbuttoned a few buttons and a suit jacket had Cynthia biting her lip from saying exactly what she was thinking.

“You look great, babe,” Cynthia said giving him a kiss.

“Thank you darlin’,” he said smiling.

“Now that you’re finally ready can we go,” Jon asked.

“Sure thing, just gimme a sec,” Richie said.

“Fine, but we’ve gotta go,” Jon said checking his watch.

“I’d offer for you to come with us, but I think you’d be bored outta your mind. God knows I will be,” Richie said to Cynthia.

“Not to mention that I’m not exactly dressed for the occasion,” she said.

“Nonsense, I think it would liven up the meeting,” Richie said with a smile.

“You’re bad. Go, I’ll be fine and try not to be too miserable,” she said.

“I feel bad leaving you all day by yourself,” Richie said.

“That’s what I’m here for,” Dot said smiling. “I’ve been dragged to so many of these things. We could do lunch if you’d like and I can direct you anywhere you need to go.”

“Are you sure its not too much trouble,” Cynthia asked.

“Of course not. I can’t even begin to count the number of meetings I’ve been to with the promise of dinner,” Dot said.

“Dot, you’re the best, you know that,” Richie said giving her a kiss on the cheek. “But I better go before he gives himself a stroke or something.”

“I’ll talk to you later,” Cynthia said giving him a long kiss goodbye.

“I’ll make this up to you I promise,” he said as he made his way to the door.

“I know my husband doesn’t care about this but I know that it’s about 6 your time and you probably wanna crawl back into bed,” Dot said.

“Kinda,” Cynthia said.

“I figured, how about we meet up for lunch around 1 o’clock, in the lobby” Dot offered.

“That sounds great,” Cynthia said.

“And I apologize for my husband. He can be a little intense, he’ll be a lot more social after things are smoothed over,” Dot said.

“That’s good to hear, I was kinda getting the feeling that he didn’t like me much. I mean not that I’m the kinda person that looks for everyone’s approval. Just a general vibe though,” Cynthia said through a yawn.

“Trust me, I don’t think he’s liking anyone right now. Don’t take it personally, but get some sleep I’ll see you in a couple hours,” Dot said letting herself out the door.

As she left the room service cart was brought it, and Cynthia left it in the middle of the living room while she headed back to bed. Food was nice, but right now she needed some sleep. She set the alarm for noon and quickly fell back to sleep.

***

At one o’clock Dot and Cynthia met up in the lobby as planned and they headed across town to Chickie and Pete’s, a local favorite. The two women ordered the world famous crab fries, a couple of sandwiches and a couple beers while they enjoyed a light conversation. Dorothea wanted to know more about how she and Richie met and what they had been doing. She knew everyone had a past and most people liked to keep it there so she didn’t pry. She just had to make sure that Richie wasn’t doing anything too stupid. She cared about him like a brother over the years and didn’t want to see him get his heart broken, again. After about an hour Dot decided that she liked Cynthia, as much as she could having met her a few hours ago. Cynthia seemed genuine, independent and confident. All things that Richie needed in his life, but not what he had seemed to be interested in of late.

Cynthia was happy to have some company. It was nice to talk to a woman, not that she wasn’t enjoying her time with Richie, but it was a nice change. Traveling as much as she had, left her spending most of her meals alone unless she became friendly with a local. She was also relieved to see how much Dorothea seemed to genuinely care about Richie, so when their time together was over he would have people around him who loved him.

Once they finished their meal they headed back to hotel hoping to hear from Jon and Richie with a time that they could expect them. When they didn’t hear, they made their own plans, the guys would have to entertain themselves for a couple hours if need be. Dot had some shopping to do and asked Cynthia to join her; she knew all to well what it was like being stuck in a hotel indefinitely. Cynthia declined and decided to head to the spa instead. She was still tired from the jet lag and was hoping that a nice massage would relax her. She wasn’t sure it would make her less tired, but relaxed for sure.

***

When Jon and Richie finished their meetings they headed back to the hotel and Richie was relived to see that Jon was in a better mood talking his ear off all the way there. Richie was only half listening, after being snapped at all morning by Jon and then being bored to tears in meeting, after meeting all he wanted to do was get back to his room and get Cynthia into bed before they went out to dinner. Jon had insisted on taking them out, once his mood brightened, for dragging them across the country before they flew out that night.

He was disappointed when he returned to the room to see a note saying that she went to the spa and wouldn’t be back until 5 or so. She deserved a day to pamper herself; he would just have to wait for her. When she made her way back to their suite, she was surprised to find Richie waiting for her dressed a little more causally. Instead of dress pants, he had changed to jeans and taken off the jacket.

“Hey,” she said smiling as she saw him on the couch.

“Hi,” he said giving her a kiss and pulling him down next to him. “How was the spa?”

“It was nice. You weren’t here too long were you,” she asked.

“Nah, I’m just happy to get outta that building,” he said.

“That bad huh?”

“The worst part was knowing you were back here, and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it,” he said smiling.

“Sorry, babe,” she said starting to unbutton his shirt.

“How was lunch with Dot,” he asked.

“It was nice. She really cares about you, she was in total investigator mode,” Cynthia said.

“I’m so sorry. She worries about me,” Richie said.

“Don’t worry about it, she didn’t say anything. But I could tell she was trying to make sure you were ok,” Cynthia said as she started to slip his shirt off his shoulders.

“She’s a worrier. Anyway I would love for you to continue this but we have dinner plans.”

“We do?”

“Jon wanted to take us out for dragging us out here before we left tonight. He’s in a much better mood too, if you were wondering. I told him we’d meet him downstairs in 25 minutes,” Richie said checking the clock on the wall.

“His timing really sucks,” Cynthia said standing from the couch. “I guess this means I have to go get ready huh?”

“Unless you wanted to go in that lovely spa robe. I know I wouldn’t mind,” Richie said.

“Not tonight, maybe another night. What time is our flight,” she asked.

“Nine. That should give us enough time for dinner. I packed all your stuff up that was in the bathroom,” Richie said.

“Wonderful, one less thing I have to do,” she said. “I’ll be out in a few minutes. I’ll just change quick.”

Cynthia changed into the black dress that she packed, and added some hair spray to her hair, trying to give it some lift. She added some lipstick from her purse, some shoes and she was ready to go. No one could ever claim that she was high maintenance. With one last look in the mirror she went out to Richie who had buttoned his shirt back up.

“You know you’re really making me rethink dinner,” Richie said when he saw her.

“Nope, he owes us, and I intend on making him pay,” Cynthia said with a mischievous grin.

“Be nice, I have to deal with him,” Richie said smiling as he led her to the door.

“How could you think such a thing? I just mean if I happen to order a pricey entrée or an expensive drink I don’t think its gonna hurt him,” she said smiling.

She stayed true to her word and had a few drinks and an expensive cut of meat, an internal victory if nothing else. Jon had apologized for his earlier behavior and they enjoyed a lively meal together, talking together as if they were all old friends. Richie enjoyed seeing the two aspects of his life collide and was disappointed when 8 o’clock rolled around and it was time for them to leave. Cynthia excused herself from the table to use the ladies room and Richie took advantage of the opportunity to get his friend’s opinions.

“So what do you think,” he asked smiling, watching her as she walked across the restaurant.

“She’s a lovely woman. We had a nice lunch together,” Dorothea said.

“And she doesn’t seem to put up with your crap,” Jon said smiling.

“That she doesn’t,” Richie said.

“You were right. There is something about her, I don’t know what it is, but I think its good for you,” Jon said.

“We haven’t seen you this happy in a while Rich, just try not to get your heart broken this time, will ya,” Dot said teasingly.

“Trust me, that’s always the goal, Dot,” Richie said as Cynthia made her way back to the table.

“Were my ears burning,” she asked smiling.

“Why would you think that,” Richie said giving her an innocent look.

“Just a hunch,” she said.

“You know what we better get going. You two have a flight to catch, and I was promised a wide variety of things once we get back to the hotel,” Dorothea said.

“Uh-oh we better go before she kicks his ass,” Richie teased.

“That’s not always a bad thing lemme tell ‘ya,” Jon said smiling at his wife as the foursome walked outside where two cars were waiting for them.

“It was nice to meet you, and I’m sorry to drag you across the country,” Jon said giving Cynthia a hug goodbye.

“Not a problem, besides I had a wonderful flight out,” Cynthia said giving Richie a saucy look.

Jon stepped aside to talk to Richie as Dorothea gave Cynthia a hug goodbye. “It was nice to meet the woman who’s made Richie this happy,” she said.

“It’s been mutual, I assure you. And thank you for lunch today, I appreciate that,” Cynthia said.

After their goodbyes, Richie and Cynthia took a car to the airport when they were whisked through security and basically right onto the plane. They were in the first row happy to see that the only other person in first class was a man in the fourth row, ensuring their privacy. About an hour into the flight Richie turned to look at her.

“Tell me about you,” he said.

“What do you want to know,” she asked.

“Well, I told you about myself a couple of days ago and I guess I realized I don’t know much about you,” he said.

“Nothing to exciting,” she said.

“I’m sure that’s not true. Anyway if you start boring me, I’ll just imagine you telling me the story naked. That’ll keep my attention for sure,” he said grinning.

“You’re too much sometimes, Rich, you know that right,” she said.

“Of course,” he said.

She spent the next couple of hours telling him stories about her family, her hometown, and her tedious job. They then compared travel stories, and he was shocked to see that each story he told she had one to top it. With about an hour to go they both dozed off, and sleepily made their way off the plane and to their car when they landed. When they got back to the house they were both to exhausted from their day to think of anything but sleep. Still in their clothes from dinner they tumbled into bed and were quickly asleep.

5 comments:

  1. She's lying to him by omission. I understand why she's doing it, and can't say I wouldn't do the same, but I feel badly for Rich, and the devastation he's going to feel when he finds out.

    I liked the way you wrote Dot and their afternoon together. Sounds like a blast!

    ~Hath

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hath... Don't want Richie to get hurt...again! Hey Rachel, love cures all...RIGHT??? How about a miracle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please can we have more ????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any more? Its been AGES....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Need more of this, please.....

    ReplyDelete